"For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace"



Friday, May 17, 2013

nursery reveal...5 months later.

Better late than never, right? I've been meaning to take nursery pictures...rather I meant to take them when I was pregnant...but I guess that means I would've had to finish the nursery before gracie was born. We just finished it. So I finally took the pictures.

I wanted a nursery that was shabby chic vintage. At least that's what I was going for. Thankfully there's lots of margin in that. I love lace. I love girly but not overtly girly. I love floral but not suffocating floral. I love colors but I love neutrals as well. I love lots of stuff but I hate too much clutter.

We had a lot of fun doing "projects" for it when I was pregnant. My goal was to do it as inexpensively as possible...which means a lot of diy things. A lot of the fabric we used was free, cheap, or old sheets cut up. Seth even got to use some of us carpentry skills....he built our diaper shelf and cut out the letters on the "grace" wall and painted them. Some of the decorations were gifts that were used as decor at my baby showers. The dresser/changing table was my grandpa kieser's...he built it himself and we painted it and cleaned up the original handles. I love love love this piece and cherish it because I never met my grandpa but have heard about the godly man he was and I love having something that he built with his hands to pass on to my kids to tell them what I know about this great man of faith.

At first I didn't want a white crib. I mean I wanted a white crib for a girl but we intend to use this crib for all children, one of which may be a boy someday, and I didn't know if white would be a "boy" color. But then I saw other boys use white and loved it...hence our white crib. I love it.

Seth's mom sewed our crib skirt. I. love. it. I really wanted a ruffled skirt because it's super girly and I love super girly so I was going to sew one. After starring at instructions and getting frustrated before even getting the sewing machine out, I decided this was not a project I should tackle...it was bound to be a disaster. Enter my talented mom-in-law and voila a masterpiece!

Enjoy your tour:

         Our "grace" wall. Seth cut out the letters from some wood and painted them & I used fabric swatches placed in embroidery hoops. Some fabric was my grandma kieser's, some was free, some was discounted, and some I just loved.

I wanted to make a mobile. I had an "idea" in my head but wasn't sure what it would end up looking like. Two of these balls are christmas ornaments and the other three....I kinda just made something up and this is the finished product...imperfect but unique.


                     


                                         Her jewelry holder for her first pieces of jewelry.

            I love the bird and the clock because they are from the sparrow's nest (which is a resale/repurpose store in LR that supports PATH- a shelter for trafficked women) and I want them to stand as a reminder to gracie of the importance of having a heart of compassion & justice for this cause.

                          Her first piggy bank....they gave this to her at the hospital.

    Her crib- I love it. And the bed skirt- I think I shrieked out of joy when I received it in the mail! 

             My sweet friend made this for a baby shower for gracie, so it hangs on her doorway.

                      The dresser that was my grandpa's. The white diaper shelf seth built. A mirror we found at a garage sale and spray painted. And a banner of fabric swatches that I sewed- one of the ONLY things I can sew :). The lamp is from a garage sale.

The letters were from a baby shower. The large frame is from the sparrow's nest. The bottom two were made from my talented sister-in-law, Jackie, for a baby shower. The bottom left frame will contain her life-verse once we decide on what that is...one day. In the middle, the left is a frame I simply wrapped fabric around and put her ultrasound pic in and the one on the right was in my room when I was a little girl. 

              These were pieces I already had...the two on the right were clearance hobby lobby and the picture on the right was a photograph I took a couple years ago.  

             She LOVES this butterfly for nap times. Pretty much as soon as I put on "her" song, her eyelids get heavy :) 

The frame is from tjmaxx and inside is a printout from pinterest. I found the mug at garage sale for .25 cents:)

My sis-in-law, Jen, made these incredible bows. I didn't want them to sit in a drawer because they are so stinkin cute so I made a bow holder. It is a frame (that was free) and old sheets ripped up that I wrapped around and glued down the ends. Then I stapled (rather, seth did) ribbon the back to hold the bows.

The curtains were fabric I found at walmart and just sewed simple pockets for the rods and at the bottom. 

The finished product!


5 comments:

  1. LOVE it Angela! :) - miss and love to you guys!- Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!
    theamateurnaturalist.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks darling - something is missing though. Sweet baby Gracie Mae!! You two sure are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO cute. You are really quite crafty!!

    ReplyDelete