"For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace"



Wednesday, July 13, 2011

thoughts from seth

For the ease of deciphering who is the author of blog post, we will post Seth's blogposts in the color red. Ang's will tend to range in colors- but she won't post in the color red :). Here are some thoughts from the mind of seth this morning:



So, I’m feeling a little bit like Gideon this morning. Maybe most of you know the story, but if you don’t or if you need a refresher, check it out in Judges chapter 7. God clearly calls Gideon to save Israel from the Midianites and the Amalekites, by putting a dew on the fleece that Gideon had laid out and keeping all of the ground dry. Just to be safe, Gideon asked God to show him again by placing a dew on all of the ground, but keeping the fleece completely dry. God did this and Gideon knew that God would deliver Israel by his hand. So Gideon gathers together his army to go fight the Midianites and Amalekites and comes up with about 32,000 men. We are not told the exact number in the Midianite/Amalekite army but the passage does say that they lined the valley like locusts and their camels where without number. That’s a lot! God tells Gideon to get rid of everyone that is afraid. Bam, 22,000 soldiers go home. Still God wants to be sure that the victory to come is recognized as His doing and no one else’s. He tells Gideon to have all the soldiers drink from a pond and whoever does not lap the water with his hand while staying alert, should be sent home as well. To me, this shows a sign of weakness and it knocks out another 9,700 men. Gideon is left with 300 men. God allows Gideon a little more assurance if he is doubting the victory. Gideon takes it, and sneaks up to some Midianite guards to hear one of the recounting a dream that the Israelites will be victorious over them.  Time for battle! Armed each one with a trumpet and a glass jar with a torch, God and the 300 men defeat the enormous Midianite/Amalekite army.

This is how I am relating this morning and perhaps some of you feel the same. You are all called to different places, whether it is your current job, schooling, ministry, family, or maybe you are heading somewhere new soon. For Ang and I it happens to be Little Rock, AR. We started this journey well over a year and a half ago, and I’m looking back, knowing I was full of fears and weaknesses. In a strange way I seemed to find comfort in those. In the same way that I would have found comfort in 32,000 soldiers, I found that I would get reassurance in my fears and weaknesses; I think because I could use them as an excuse or something to fall back on when I failed. This last 18 months has been a long grueling process of purging those fears and weaknesses (don’t worry, Ang, the process isn’t over yet J). But, I’m realizing that all God wants left is me at the very core, with nothing of my own, just all of me, wanting to bring him glory. So, we’ve been down here 5 days and I still having purging to do. Fears about fitting in at our new job, and meeting expectations, and getting everything transferred to Little Rock. Weaknesses of selfishness and pride and not leading our marriage. We have all been given the reassurance that we will be victorious in this life if we choose to follow Jesus. So, if the odds seem like they are against you or you don’t feel like you can face the battle ahead, you may be right where God wants you with the opportunity to bring Him so much glory! 

2 comments:

  1. We are praying so hard for you two! Thank you for continually updating your blog, so I can keep up on your adventures. Seth, thanks for sharing your heart too. I love it!
    I am so convinced that God is calling you to Little Rock, and I'm excited that he is stripping you down to the core. He is glorious, and I know that is what he wants from you. I am so proud to call you friends. May God richly bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's funny, letting God fight the Battle for you so He gets all the credit has been a theme in my life as of late as well! read 2 Chronicles 19 and 20. jehoshaphat is the king of judah at the time and all of his enemies are preparing to wipe him out. obviously he's terrified so he fasts and heads to his knees. actually the entire kingdom gathers to see petition God to help them. they cry out as a nation together

    "we don't know what to do but our eyes are upon YOU" the Holy Spirit came upon a man named Jahazial he told the king and the entire nation "do not be afraid or dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's"

    they all bowed down and worshipped God and prepared for battle. as a nation they decided that a CHOIR!!! (yep, a CHIOR) should go before the army, singing the praises of God. "praise the Lord, for His mercy endures forever"

    soooo what happens? the enemies of Judah all kill each other and not one person escaped. they looted bodies for THREE DAYS. the fourth they returned to jerusalem praising God for His faithfulness.

    this was HUGE for me. if God can defeat the enemies of Judah with a CHOIR, what battle will he conquer in my life if i just give Him all the praise He deserves and let Him fight it for me? i am and will continue to pray for you two. thank you for being faithful!

    ReplyDelete